Friday, August 7, 2009

I'm...blogging.

I'm...committed. I'm racing in the solo division of the Race Across AMerica (RAAM) next year. The process I went through just in qualifying at Race Across Oregon cemented it.

I'm excited, nervous, excited. Happy.

I've got unfinished business - I DNF'd RAAM in 2002 and I owe it to myself to go back, find the edge, stare it down, and...finish.

I feel like I'm mentally ready - that's 90% of the battle. Maintaining and extending my fitness - that's other 10%. Oh - then there's organization...the other, OTHER 10%. Crew - the another 50%. Equipment - 20%. Luck - maybe 20%? - but I'm already the luckiest person in the world, so I've got that nailed.

So - to get my 100% readiness up to the 200% that appears to be necessary...

I'll need sponsors.
I'll need more crew.
I'll need bikes, supplies, and your good thoughts.

I'll be training - hard sometimes, less hard others, and doing a lot of cross-training to build strength and flexibility. Trying to train for RAAM while exercising "moderation" seems a little dissonant to the folks racking up mega-miles, but I'm convinced that it's the best way to do it.

More later. I've got stuff to do.


No comments:

Post a Comment