Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Google Bike Maps

Hey - Google Maps now does bike maps. I think that's really, really cool. Good to have it right out there that bikes are...yes! Say it! Transportation. But I've got to admit that my curiosity was piqued. So I put it to the test. My start location? The Strand, Oceanside, CA. And destination? Annapolis City Dock. Try it. I got two slightly different answers, either 3077 or 3081 miles, which seems to be dependent on the address you pick for the City Dock.
I was really, really amused at the estimated time: 11 days, 2 hours. The current recumbent RAAM record is 11 days, 2 hours, and 50 minutes. I guess that means that I'll not be having extra time for hanging around in the McDonalds restrooms.
Here's a link: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=The+Strand,+Oceanside+CA&daddr=Cape+St+Claire,+Maryland+21401&hl=en&geocode=&mra=ls&dirflg=b&sll=44.083861,-123.089949&sspn=0.00803,0.016308&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=4&lci=bike

No comments:

Post a Comment