Friday, October 23, 2009

What I do

OK - This isn't the best title for this post. I don't make bikes. I sell bikes. But - every bike that we make at Bike Friday starts with a sale. We build 'em one at a time, after a (sometimes lengthy) process of consulting with the new bike owner and specifying every part that's to go on the bike.

This slide show documents the birth of one customer's Bike Friday New World Tourist, which she's named the "Other Trucker", because we matched its geometry to her current favorite touring bike - a Surly Long Haul Trucker.

Some customers are just more fun than others. Apologies if you're one of my current customers and you're reading this and I've NOT made a blog post about the birth of your bike - but Karen and Vinny (Karen's wrench in Vacaville, CA) were very involved in the process.

We likened the process to pregnancy, labor, and delivery of a new bundle of joy. I got frequent emails from Vinny reminding me that he was at home, boiling water, forceps at the ready, etc. I was sorely tempted to send candy cigars along with the bike!

That's all I've got for you - it's Friday (here at Bike Friday) and I'm feeling really good about making a customer happy with a shiny new bike (doesn't hurt that it's my favorite color - Candy Apple Red). I took pictures along the way - much to the amusement of the production staff.



Tailwinds,

Sandy

1 comment:

  1. If I had only known, I would have ordered candy apple red and used the pregnancy analogy.

    ReplyDelete